Is Uterine Fibroid Embolization Right For You?

Parenting/ Health

Lifestyle / Parenting/ Health 43 Views 0 comments

While it’s possible to have fibroids without any symptoms, this isn’t always the case. Once there are symptoms, your options for managing or treating your condition will vary. According to a 2018 study, approximately 70 percent of those who had symptoms with their fibroids opted for medication while the remaining 30 percent had some type of surgical procedure. Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) is one of the procedures that your doctor might suggest so here’s what you need to know about it.  What Is UFE? Uterine fibroid embolization is a medical procedure that’s meant to shrink your fibroids by depriving them of the blood they need to thrive. It is a relatively simple procedure in which a catheter is inserted through a vein in the blood or wrist. Using an X-ray as a guide, an embolic agent is injected through the catheter that will flow through the uterine arteries to block blood flow to the fibroids. Once that’s complete, the surgeon will close the small incision. Depending on the size of your fibroids, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for the growths to shrink to an acceptable size.  RELATED: Uterine Fibroid Embolization: Dr. John C....